cannoli

cannoli

Friday, January 21, 2011

Cooking for the Week

I need to write on this blog more about what I cook during the week...which is not much, maybe that's why I don't think it's worth the effort to put it in writing. 

In the cold months, Mondays are typically for soups, chili, etc.  I like to put on a crock pot full of chili or soup before I leave for work and walk in the door that evening and smell all that goodness.  This year I have incorporated a Taco Soup into the rotation and I love it.  It's SO easy and SO good.  I like to serve it with tortilla chips and a spoon full of sour cream and cheddar cheese.  This week the soup of choice was Vegetable Beef Soup.  My mom has made this soup as long as I can remember and it's one of my favorites.  It too is easy and smells delicious after cooking in the slow cooker all day.  I like to have cornbread with Vegetable Beef Soup...that's the way I had it growing up so that's the way I like it now.  And the soup leftovers are wonderful which we usually have on Wednesday or Thursday.

The food for the rest of the week has been boring...jar spaghetti sauce with frozen ravioli, frozen mac and cheese, left over soup and I'm not sure what tonight or the weekend will hold.

Last weekend I tried my hand at a London Broil...first time.  The menu was London Broil with Twice Baked Potatoes and bread of course.  I have to say that the London Broil was terrible...the taste was good thanks to the marinade, if you could cut it or bite it.  It was dry and tough BUT the potatoes were tasty.  Again, this was my first attempt at cooking a piece of meat under the broiler and I knew the possibilities going in but could not resist cooking it a few minutes too long.  I'll try it again the next time it's on sale and I know it will be better.  As Angela Batisa said to me "live and learn" and I have, concerning this anyway.

Here's the recipe I use for Taco Soup, it's best when there's snow on the ground!

TACO SOUP
2 Pounds browned ground beef (or cooked chicken)
1 Medium Size Onion (I use Vidalia, keepn' it local)
1 or 2 Cans Pink Beans (depending on how many beans you like)
2 Cans Whole Kernel Corn, drained
2 Cans Petite Diced Tomatoes (if you like it chunky don't use the petite diced)
1 Can Rotel Hot or Rotel with Green Chiles (I use the Hot)
1 pkg. Ranch Style Dressing
1 Pkg Taco Seasoning
2 or 3 tomato cans of water (depending on how soupy you want it)

Mix everything into the slow cooker and cook on Low for 6-8 hours.  Serve with tortilla chips, sour cream and your favorite shredded cheese.

Pics to follow. 

Have a great weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Love the recipe for Taco Soup - YUM! Have you ever made half a recipe? I might try that during one of our snow storms this winter while someone else is shoveling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsy I have not tries half a recipe but I think it would work fine and taste great! Let me know if you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds very yummy. And thanks for the shout out!!!

    ReplyDelete