cannoli

cannoli

Friday, February 4, 2011

Wishes and Weekends

The days go by so slow but the weeks fly by…how is that possible?  And the years are flying by at warp speed, that’s been happening to me since I turned 30.  When I was still in school and wishing for the weekend, my Dad would say “You’re wishing your life away” and I would say “Oh well, I’m ready for the weekend.”  Things haven’t changed that much…I still wish for the weekend on Monday morning and I’m still wishing my life away.  When summer vacation was over and it was time to head back to school I’d complain that it went by too fast.  My Dad would say “you think time goes by fast now, just wait, you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.”  He was right…the years are flying by with our minds so tied up with work, worries, money, appointments and everything else except slowing down to enjoy the simple things in life.

I like to spend most of my weekends enjoying the little things…taking Bailey to the park for a long walk, chasing a few squirrels and if it’s warm watching him have a big time running through the stinky water of the creek that runs through the park, taking a nap on Sunday afternoon, going to Granny’s house for Sunday Lunch and spending time with her, getting in the kitchen with my wonderful husband and whipping up a delicious meal with good music playing and sitting around my parents house talking about whatever subject pops into our heads…quality time.

This weekend I hope to get to enjoy several of those things.  As for the meal I’ll be cooking with my wonderful husband, I’m thinking Shrimp Scampi with Linguini.  I have to admit that I got this recipe from Tyler Florence.  I have tweaked it some but not much, it’s just about perfect in my opinion.  This morning as I left the house and it was cold and rainy I was wishing for the beach, warm weather and flip flops and this recipe popped into my head.  It just feels like summer and boy am I ready for summer.  I’m not “wishing my life away” this time, just wishing my front yard was surf and sand J

Try this recipe and see if you don’t think about the beach, flip flops and the sun.  It’s super easy, quick and tasty…what more can you ask for?
I’ll post a picture after I make it and you’ll see what I’m talking about.


Shrimp Scampi with Linguini
1 pound linguini
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
1 large shallot, finely diced
5 cloves garlic, sliced
Pinch red pepper flakes, optional
20 large shrimp, about 1 pound, peeled and deveined
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 lemon, juiced (I use 1 ½ lemons and the zest of 1 lemon for more zing)
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves

For the pasta, put a large pot of water on the stove to boil. When it has come to a boil, add a couple of tablespoons of salt and the linguini. Stir to make sure the pasta separates.  When the water returns to a boil, cook for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the pasta is not quite done.  Drain the pasta reserving 1 cup of water.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter in 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat.  Saute the shallots, garlic, and red pepper flakes (if using) until the shallots are translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes.  Season the shrimp with salt and pepper; add them to the pan and cook until they have turned pink, about 2 to 3 minutes.  Remove the shrimp from the pan; set aside and keep warm.   Add wine and lemon juice and bring to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons oil.  When the butter has melted, return the shrimp to the pan along with the parsley and cooked pasta and reserved pasta water.  Stir well and season with salt and pepper.  Drizzle over a bit more olive oil, add freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese and serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment